Hi everyone! Today I’m here to share a list of what you actually need to pack when you head to college this fall. I know, there are a ton of lists out there, but quite frankly, many of them are full of items you are never actually going to need or use. You would not believe how much stuff I have personally witnessed people trying to cram into their rooms come move-in day. As a soon-to-be college junior, I can reassure you personally that most of that stuff is completely unnecessary.
- Bedding set – Twin XL is the most common fitting, but check with your school
- Microwave/Mini fridge – check with school to see if it’s provided, and coordinate with roommates!
- Cooking supplies – this depends on your cooking skills and if you plan on utilizing dining hall options.
- Lock for lockable drawer (if applicable) – keep your valuables safe! 🙂
- Futon/chair – this one is up to you, really. Having friends sit on your bed is just as viable an option and a lot more space-effective.
- Command hooks – use these things to hang up everything on your walls without leaving marks.
- Photos/decorations – make your space your own! Don’t go crazy, though. Less is definitely more.
- Safety whistle – I actually got one free at an job orientation my first week freshman year. I’ve never had to use it yet (thankfully), but it makes me feel a little bit better having it.
- Lanyard & card holder – keep your keys and student ID always on hand with a lanyard. **Note: do not wear the lanyard around your neck. You will look like a freshman and we will all laugh at you.**
- Book bag/backpack
- Notebooks, folders(?), pens, pencils
- Agenda – this is a must. I actually use two – one for keeping track of my school assignments and one for tracking my daily agenda of where I have to go and what I have to do!
- Highlighters, note cards, sticky notes
- Laptop and charger
- Phone and charger
- TV – coordinate with roommate
- Alarm clock – this one is up to you. You can also just use your phone if you like that better.
- Power strip – I highly recommend this, as someone who has a lot of devices to plug in all the time.
- Clothes you actually wear – I recommend spending some time taking note of what you actually wear every day and only bringing those items. Resist the urge to pack those things you’ve only worn once or twice since you bought them.
- Winter coat – I recommend bringing it with you right away in the fall and then leaving it at home after winter break.
- Workout clothes – if you actually are the person who will go to the gym.
- Bathrobe – this one depends on the setup of your bathroom. If it’s far down the hall, consider a robe. However, if it’s right next door or inside the room, I would just skip this one.
- Laundry detergent
- Toiletries/cosmetics – Bring enough for the start, and then buy more supplies later on as you need it. Save some space and time on your move-in day by packing as light as possible.
- Shower caddy
- Towels & washcloths
- Shower shoes – if it’s a communal shower, you need shoes. I recommend just using an old pair of flip-flops so you don’t have to buy anything new.
That’s everything on my list! Are there any other items you think I am forgetting? Let me know in the comment section or on Twitter @CaseyDonart! Thanks for reading and I hope this is helpful!