Hey everyone, we’ve finally reached the mid-semester mark, and we all (unfortunately) know what that means: midterms. And projects. And more midterms. It’s the point in the semester when we all question why we chose college to begin with, if it’s too late to drop that one class that is way too much work, and whether we can still justify going out over spending the night at the library. If you are anything like me, your stress level peaks around this time of the year and never seems to go back down. In order to prevent this, I’ve come up with a few helpful tips on how to handle the mid-semester mark like a pro.
- Know what works best for you. If that’s a cage in Memorial, great. If it’s the loud atmosphere of College, fine. Or if it’s sitting in your friend’s living room eating pizza, that’s cool too. Wherever you study best is where you should be. Know whether you need complete silence or total chaos or somewhere in between to learn, and find a space that reflects that.
- Snacks and sleep: You can’t study 24/7 without crashing and never recovering. Make sure you get plenty of sleep and have some (healthy) study snacks to make sure you stay well fed. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Start early and keep a consistent schedule. You can’t expect to cram the night before (unless you are ok with totally failing)! Instead, start early and dedicate a small amount of time every day or every other day to doing it.
- I repeat: don’t over-do it! You need time to relax, too.
- Taking some necessary time to do ~nothing~ will really help with the stress. Just close your eyes, breathe, and relax. It will all be okay, I promise.
- Exercise has been proven to help with stress. Whether that’s yoga, going to the gym, or walking up the stairs, some exercise can do wonders for stress.
- Stay organized! Remember that planner you bought in the beginning of the semester but have never used? Now would be a great time to pull it out! Having all of the due dates physically in front of you makes everything a lot more manageable.
- Do one task at a time. I know that some people say they are great multi-taskers, but I’m a little skeptical about that claim. What I’ve personally found is that everything turns out a lot better if you start one task and finish it before moving onto the next.
- Stay on top of deadlines. Complete things in the order they are due, so that you don’t accidently space on that term paper and have to rush to get it done in time. I repeat: stay organized!
- With classes, we all need some fun every once and a while! While midterms are incredibly important, everyone needs some downtime to de-stress, relax, and have fun with friends and/or family! We are only college students once, after all (well, hopefully….)
STAY STRONG! You can do it!
Find me on Twitter @CaseyDonart